© Article translated from the book “Negoziazione interculturale, comunicazione oltre le barriere culturali” (Intercultural Negotiation: Communication Beyond Cultural Barriers) copyright Dr. Daniele Trevisani Intercultural Negotiation Training and Coaching, published with the author’s permission. The Book’s rights are on sale and are available for any Publisher wishing to consider it for publication in English and other languages except for Italian and Arab whose rights are already sold and published. If you are interested in publishing the book in English, or any other language, or seek Intercultural Negotiation Training, Coaching, Mentoring and Consulting, please feel free to contact the author from the webstite www.danieletrevisani.com
The Effects of Globalization
Intercultural negotiation is an increasingly pervasive phenomenon due to globalization and the intensification of inter-ethnic, inter-religious, international, business, cultural or social relations. Remaining in the business field, the cases in which intercultural negotiation becomes more evident are:
- 1. Selling abroad in neighboring cultures and distant cultures.
- 2. Buying abroad or building supply management agreements, negotiating with foreign suppliers.
- 3. Business agreements for the distribution of goods or services abroad
- 4. Joint ventures (construction of companies managed by several partners of different nationalities) for production facilities abroad.
- 5. Mergers between companies and acquisitions of companies in which the organizational cultures of origin are substantially different (as occurs in almost all cases, both at an intra-national level and at the level of international acquisitions and mergers).
- 6. Manage the workforce in third countries.
- 7. Manage the foreign workforce operating in your company.
- 8. Do multinational training, training programs involving human resources operating in different countries.
- 9. Intercultural training: cultural diversity between the trainer and the participants, or cultural diversity within the group of students.
- 10. Coordinate international working groups.
- 11. Diplomatic negotiation and international agreements.
- 12. Peacekeeping, peacekeeping, conflict prevention and resolution.
- 13. International contracts, cross-cultural legal negotiation.
On the mediated communications front, we see the urgency of an intercultural approach whenever problems arise in:
- 14. Information communication campaigns in distant cultures.
- 15. Advertising communication spread in different cultures and on international markets.
- 16. Creation of persuasive and promotional messages on an international scale.
- 17. Development of product concepts of international significance, destined to operate on global and different markets.
- 18. Concept development of products aimed solely at a linguistic-cultural area, whose design takes place in a different starting culture.
- 19. Build distribution and sales structures in different countries.
- 20. Create personnel incentive and motivation systems appropriate to the local culture. On the social front, instead, we see an urgency of intercultural negotiation and communication skills when addressing the following issues:
- 21. Scholastic integration of foreign children.
- 22. Intercultural psychological therapy and intercultural counseling.
- 23. Dynamics of ethnic adaptation.
- 24. Interreligious dialogue.
- 25. International development projects.
- 26. Social communication campaigns (public health, disease prevention, nutrition education, drugs, and others) conducted in culturally diverse areas.
Over twenty areas of strong and urgent problematic characterize the field of intercultural communication. The vastness and severity of the underlying problems – in this incomplete list – highlights the urgency of a high level of attention to the dynamics of intercultural communication.
For further information see:
- Website of Studio Trevisani Academy For Business Training, Coaching e Mentoring, in Italian
- Website Dr. Daniele Trevisani in Italian
- Dr. Daniele Trevisani – Website in English
- Comunicazioneaziendale.it Italian website on Business Communication
- Medialab Research Cultural Association for Communication Research
- Dr. Daniele Trevisani Linkedin Profile in English
- Facebook Channel
- YouTube Channel