© Article translated from the book “Negoziazione interculturale, comunicazione oltre le barriere culturali” (Intercultural Negotiation: Communication Beyond Cultural Barriers) copyright Dr. Daniele Trevisani Intercultural Negotiation Training and Coaching, published with the author’s permission. The Book’s rights are on sale and are available for any Publisher wishing to consider it for publication in English and other languages except for Italian and Arab whose rights are already sold and published. If you are interested in publishing the book in English, or any other language, or seek Intercultural Negotiation Training, Coaching, Mentoring and Consulting, please feel free to contact the author from the webstite www.danieletrevisani.com
To be able to negotiate effectively, knowing how to sell is not enough: it is necessary to develop transversal skills that favour the fluidity of communication and help us to avoid cultural barriers getting in our way. To do this we must undertake a path of deep personal training, without limiting ourselves to a superficial linguistic and cultural knowledge. So, let’s learn about one of the most effective training methods, the ALM method.
The ALM negotiation approach is characterized by:
- action line flexibility, non-stereotyped negotiating strategy, creative strategy;
- the negotiator’s strong emotional awareness;
- the presence of strong negotiation preparation, communication training and simulation;
- a holistic approach that pays attention to:
- a general knowledge,
- the know-how, but especially
- the negotiator’s knowledge of his/her role as a negotiator.
This approach favours the negotiator’s/communicator’s growth, especially on the human level.
Rather than identifying a single negotiating strategy, the ALM method invites us to ask ourselves which are the available “constellations of strategies” – using Tinsley’s term – and which of them may be more profitable.
The ALM approach also invites us to always take into consideration the fact that misunderstandings may occur, leading us to conflicts, and to examine the inferred meaning of negotiation arguments, without automatically taking it for granted.
The ALM method basically proposes an open, transparent and direct line of communication. However, we must remember that this method of communication cannot be applied automatically, because it cannot be considered a standard even in Western societies, where clarity and immediacy are apparently promoted (as in American society), and even less so in Eastern societies, where excessively explicit statements can lead to offenses and conflicts.
For this reason, the intercultural negotiator must be aware of the “stress or shock “that comes from direct communication. He/she must also learn how to alleviate it, in case one decides to go for an open communication, such as for a constructive criticism or even for new communicative ways, that can be unusual for the other party.
In this case, we are referring to the psychological pact between negotiators, in which both interlocutors, even before entering the negotiation, try to establish their own methods of communication, while sharing some negotiating rules.
The success of intercultural negotiation therefore depends on:
- the ability to establish common rules, that must be followed during negotiation;
- the rules application consistency;
- the ability to change the rules when they are not practicable or effective.
On an intercultural level, it is important to work on communication skills, and on the basic attitude of intercultural awareness.
Working on our skills means increasing our awareness of communication tools, by understanding how to use them effectively. Working on attitudes means eliminating cultural rigidities, recognizing stereotypes and one-way approaches, knowing how to maintain a flexible and open mind, which allows us to move with awareness during a negotiation and in international contexts.
To be continued…
For further information see:
- Studio Trevisani Academy’s Webstite For Business Training, Coaching and Mentoring, in Italian
- Dr. Daniele Trevisani’s Website in Italian
- Dr. Daniele Trevisani’s Website in English
- Comunicazioneaziendale.it – Italian website on Business Communication
- Medialab Research Cultural Association for Communication Research
- Dr. Daniele Trevisani Linkedin Profile in English
- Facebook Channel
- YouTube Channel
- ALM business method
- applying communication rules with consistency
- awareness of one’s role in negotiation
- Best coach in intercultural communication in the world
- Best coach in intercultural facilitation in the world
- Best coach in intercultural negotiation in the world
- Best Intercultural communication book
- Best world consultant in intercultural communication
- Best world consultant in intercultural negotiation
- Best world expert in intercultural communication
- Best world expert in intercultural negotiation
- Best world trainer in intercultural communication
- Best world trainer in intercultural negotiation
- Best Intercultural negotiation book
- book on intercultural communication
- book on intercultural negotiation communication
- communication difficulties
- communication skills
- Communication techniques intercultural communication
- Communication techniques intercultural negotiation
- communication training
- conversational skills
- creative strategies
- cross cultural communication
- cross cultural misunderstanding
- cross-cultural adaptation
- cultural systems
- dialogue between companies
- different cultural approach
- different cultural context
- direct communication shock
- direct line of communication
- Effective intercultural negotiation techniques
- face-to-face communication
- front-line communication
- general knowledge
- high-context cultures
- How cultural differences affect negotiations?
- How does culture influence negotiation?
- intercultural communication
- intercultural communication book
- Intercultural communication books
- Intercultural Communication Coaching
- intercultural communication pdf
- Intercultural Communication Trainers
- Intercultural Communication Training
- Intercultural conversation management techniques
- Intercultural Negotiation
- Intercultural negotiation books
- Intercultural Negotiation Coach
- Intercultural Negotiation Coaching
- Intercultural Negotiation Communication
- Intercultural Negotiation Consultant
- Intercultural Negotiation Consulting
- Intercultural Negotiation Counselling
- intercultural negotiation definition
- Intercultural negotiation exercises
- Intercultural Negotiation in International Business
- Intercultural Negotiation Mentoring
- intercultural negotiation PDF
- Intercultural Negotiation Process
- Intercultural Negotiation Strategies
- Intercultural Negotiation Timing
- intercultural negotiation training
- intercultural training
- Intercultural Training Consultants
- low-context cultures
- negotiating rules
- negotiation preparation
- negotiator’s emotional awareness
- negotiator’s growth
- open communication
- psychological pact
- transparent communication
- What are the 5 stages of negotiation?
- What is effective intercultural negotiation?
- What is intercultural negotiation?
- working on attitudes
- working on skills
- World’s most famous expert in intercultural communication
- World’s most famous expert in intercultural negotiation